Find out why Allport Cargo Services relies on Ideal to manage the complexity of their WAN infrastructure so Allport can get on with providing logistics and delivery services for clients in 30 countries around the world.
Meet the client
- The organisation has 800 staff in the UK, working across 20 hi-tech logistics hubs, freight centres and packaging factories: picking, packing and transporting cargo globally every day for customers across a range of sectors.
- Quite simply, without reliable IT infrastructure and networks, Allport wouldn’t have a business.
What the client says
“Ideal's technical expertise is always readily available and this was an important factor in choosing them to manage the complexity of our WAN infrastructure. Their professional, reliable service allows my IT team to focus on delivering technology solutions that help the business operate efficiently.”
Ian Hunter, IT Director
The timeline of our relationship
Allport’s telephone network between its UK hubs was increasingly under pressure. In 2013, one location found itself unable to add new telephone users because the existing solution just couldn’t support any more.
We provided the telephony solution - Cisco Call Manager Express – and solved the communication crisis.
Allport came back to us the following year, this time with a much bigger project. They were fed up of the poor account management, slow fixes, complex billing and delays in changes from their existing multiprotocol label switching (MPLS) WAN provider. This poor service wasn’t just frustrating – it was having an impact on the IT team’s ability to do their jobs and develop new business-critical systems.
We showed them that a managed WAN service can be so different – flexible, responsive and supported by a proactive team of engineers who always pick up the phone when you call them.
The secure network management platform enables monitoring, analysis and reporting of network behaviour and trends. Allport have visibility of their network via a tailored web portal allowing them to plan and manage business demands.
We’re now returning our attention to Allport’s telephone system – connecting up regional offices and hubs with the two head offices, using Cisco BE6000s at the centre of the network and Call Manager Express at local offices.
We're also reinforcing Allport's security with a Palo Alto Networks firewall. This is replacing three products: TMG (proxy, handles exchange traffic) and Websence (URL filtering). The single solution will save Allport money, and make its security much more effective.
And we're now providing a Managed Service covering management, monitoring and support of Allport’s wireless, LAN, telephony and security infrastructure, and satellite remote users on the overlay WAN.
The Ideal experience
Our account management and technical support team have always got your back. Our client at Allport found that out when his account manager was able to commit one of our engineers to fix a switch that hadn’t been provided by us and was made by a vendor who we don’t officially support.
The technical spec in a nutshell - Ideal Managed WAN Service
- Exponential-e VPLS network, providing an emulated layer 2 VLAN allowing geographically diverse sites to connect as if on the same Local Area Network
- Dual Cisco routers at each site, with transparent resiliency built into the solution
- Single circuits between Head Office and DR site, into the VPLS cloud, provide resiliency for each other
- Six levels of QoS prioritisation for critical applications, ensuring optimum network performance
- Ideal Networks' 24/7 network operations centre is a single point of contact offering technical support and management of connectivity between all sites to meet stringent SLAs