How does a small team of IT professionals deliver a local authority’s ambitious vision for technology-based council services on time and on budget?
Meet the client
Rother District Council looks after 90,000 residents in the East Sussex region.Like many organisations, the council relies heavily on its IT infrastructure and related networks such as the Public Services Network. Because it is handling public and sensitive data, security is heavily regulated and business critical.
The small team of IT professionals in the council provide IT services for the council and contribute to the council’s stated ambition to “Develop, deliver and implement a strategy that allows our customers to deal with us effectively and efficiently online” by 2016.
What the client says
“Ideal has helped and supported Rother District Council through one of their largest ICT projects in the last eight years. This was achieved through reactive and bespoke technical consultancy, and attention to detail in every area of their business from pre-sales and account management to confident technical support. I would not hesitate to recommend Ideal Networks to my peers.” - Graham McCallum, Senior Infrastructure Officer, Rother District Council
The timeline of our relationship
- We provided Rother with a firewall support contract worth £100.
- Rother came to Ideal to help with a security issue that was jeopardising their PSN compliance.
- We designed them a security solution to enable them to have a ‘walled garden’ (network segmentation) using a dual vendor, two-tiered solution – Palo Alto Networks firewall and Cisco ASA.
- Rother began to use our engineering services to support their own team and fill their team’s skills gaps.
- We moved to offering firewalls as a managed service (moves, changes, deletes).
- Later that year we then provided a full network, core and wireless upgrade project – one of the council’s largest ICT projects in the last eight years according to Graham McCallum, Senior Infrastructure Officer, Rother District Council.
- We have become a full strategic partner for the Rother IT department. We are working on a remote working, guest wireless, secure networking, mobility solution for the council. Palo Alto Networks security and Cisco ISE ensure PSN compliance.
- Later this year we’ll be delivering a data centre refresh using NetApp or Nimble and Cisco technology.
The Ideal experience
Image by Flickr User Esther Westerveld, CC Licence
Because excellence is our difference, our clients always experience definitive customer service. But many also find that the relationship with their account manager develops into a trusted friendship. Our client at Rother District Council went to the wedding of his account manager.