2016 is going to be a special year for us at Ideal for lots of reasons, but the one that’s probably closest to my heart is the launch of the Ideal Academy.
Ideal Academy is our new project and is all about encouraging more of the super-smart young people in our local community to choose IT as a career and, hopefully, choose Ideal as their employer.
Recent research from Brighton University showed that there’s a real and worsening skills gap in our city and it particularly affects tech businesses like ours. We want the Ideal Academy to play a part in helping to close this gap.
How the Ideal Academy will work
The fine detail is yet to be agreed, but we’ll be partnering with local colleges and universities to promote IT as a career choice.
For example, we’ll be holding Open Days where undergrads and young people looking for apprenticeship opportunities can come and spend a day working with our Technical and Sales teams to see what it’s really like to work in the industry.
We’ll also be working hard to influence local educational institutions to consider more specialist curriculums and vendor specific content on their courses, to help better prepare young people for a career in IT.
We’ll be offering a number of graduate and apprentice posts in Sales and Technical teams as well – starting with a number of graduate hires in the Sales team in the first quarter of 2016 and then technical opportunities opening up over the course of the summer.
The Ideal experience
We know we’re competing with a number of big players when it comes to hiring the best new young talent in our sector. We have a very different experience to offer young people who come to join the Ideal team:
- We are an IT company first and foremost, so working here means getting hands on experience of working in a completely immersive IT role – rather than working in an IT department for a business that focuses on something completely different.
- Our client base is really broad and dynamic – and the types of project we deliver for them vary hugely – so our apprentices and grads get a really broad experience, right from the start of the career.
- We fully support professional development and put our money where our mouth is. The first thing we discuss with the new hires is what training and certification they’ll be working towards.
- Professional development and maximising people's potential is high on our agenda. In 2015, we have supported more than 80% of our staff to study towards developing their skills and knowledge and obtaining new qualifications.
- We’re a middle-sized company that’s growing fast, so there’s lots of opportunity for hands-on work and somewhere for ambitious people to really fast-track their career. Our brightest and best move up the company hierarchy fast.
- We are a friendly and supportive company, so no one here is left to ‘just get on with it’. More experienced colleagues share their knowledge and support with less experienced team members and everyone is fully committed to ensuring that new hires have a great start at Ideal.
- Our culture is fun and relaxed. Unless you’re meeting a client, it’s jeans day every day and we have a truly vibrant social side to the company. Fitness, health and wellbeing are high up on our agenda.
If you’d like to find out more about the opportunities available to you through the Ideal Academy let us have your details below and we’ll be in touch soon. Or simply contact HR@ideal.co.uk
Header image: Event Coverage / Flickr, via a CC Licence